Saturday, October 6, 2012

Thankful for Spiritual Mentors

2 Timothy 2:2 - And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also.

I recently began reading a book from Nine Marks, Finding Faithful Deacons and Elders by Thabiti Anyabwile, and it got me thinking about all the spiritual mentors God has put in my life over the years. As I was meditating on the verse above, it made my heart joyful when I thought about all the men that have taken the time to teach me, love me, reprove me, etc. I know that these faithful men of God would say that they were being obedient to the Scriptures through the power of the Holy Spirit. I Praise the Lord Jesus Christ for using these men in my life.

In the evil day in which we live, it is of the utmost importance that the church encourage all men to lead. They should be encouraged to lead in their homes, in the workplace, in the church, and in life. This leadership is to be lived out by the elders and deacons of the local church (1 Timothy 3:1-13). They are to look for young men that they observe to meet the qualifications of these offices and nurture them through teaching, reproving, exhorting, living a godly example, and spending time with them. The health of the church is dependent upon the spiritual mentoring of young men in order to raise them up to be leaders.

I can still remember how my former pastor, Mark Swan,  took the time to spiritually mentor me. He would spend time with me one on one, he was always speaking the word of God to me, and  always encouraging me to live according to the Scriptures. He was faithful to preach the word boldly from the pulpit while teaching the doctrines of Grace along with many other wonderful doctrines. These times were priceless to me then, as well as, a continual blessing to me today. Mark has went on to Glory to be with the Lord, but his influence upon me will last a lifetime.

Who are the young men in your local church, your family, the universal church, who need to be spiritually mentored? Man of God are you looking to teach the word so men can teach others? Are you taking the time that is required to spiritually mentor young men? I am thankful not only for Brother Mark, and all the men of God who have taken the time to spiritually mentor me. Will you take the time? Will you give of yourself to serve others? I pray that you do for one purpose to bring Honor and Glory to the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Soli Deo Gloria,

Bro. Pat



1 comment:

Victoria M. said...

I rejoice with you being reminded of those men the Lord has brought across paths. Oh, and what an opportunity in the future to help one another mature in the faith.